PublicSource Audience Strategist
PublicSource Audience Strategist
PublicSource is a digital newsroom that inspires bold ideas and critical thinking through journalism rooted in facts, diverse voices and the pursuit of transparency.
We tell stories for a better Pittsburgh.
PublicSource is looking for an Audience Strategist who will be responsible for centering our audience in our journalism and growing our readership and loyal following. The Audience Strategist will report to the Managing Editor and will bolster our efforts to produce quality journalism that matters to our readers, listeners and community at-large and will allow us to continue building a membership program that is key to our sustainability.
We’re looking for a team member who has:
- 3-5 years of newsroom experience and excitement for the opportunity to establish a new audience engagement program.
- An interest in identifying trends within audience data and defining strategies to improve those trends. The ability to juggle strategic thinking and hands-on tactical work.
- A track record of growing audiences, managing and optimizing email newsletters, and a creative approach to promotion.
- The inclination to interrogate even successful tactics and change them up.
- A desire to identify what skills are unique to you and how to apply them to PublicSource’s mission.
- Passion for getting out in the community, meeting audience members to learn about their concerns and needs.
- Ability to try new tools, share knowledge and skills with colleagues.
- Demonstrated fluency and creativity using social media and other tools to reach audiences across socioeconomic fault lines.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Working with the leadership team, the audience strategist assists with overall goal-setting for the organization, including the internal and external key performance indicators for traffic, loyalty, engagement and membership.
- Assists the managing editor in creating an editorial plan reflective of audience feedback and interests.
- Responsible for evaluating and reporting internal editorial KPIs.
- Responsible for evaluating and executing overall newsletter strategy and goals.
- Works with the product team to design or adapt newsletter products to audience needs.
- Compiles weekly newsletter(s) and adapts headlines as needed.
- Set goals for newsletter list growth and execute tactics to support those goals, including site popup management.
Social Media and SEO
- Establishes and manages a social media and SEO workflow for the newsroom, including training, documentation and newsroom cheerleading.
- Responsible for goal-setting and growth plans based on previous traffic, engagement and 2020 editorial plans.
- Writes or checks social and SEO headlines.
- Makes recommendations for paid strategies and tactics.
- Assist leadership in setting community engagement goals and producing and executing community engagement plans, including events.
- Help plan and administer PublicSource events to understand and listen to our audience.
- Google Analytics
- Social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter; Hootsuite and other scheduling tools
- Paid Advertising: including Facebook, Google Adwords
- GSuite, Microsoft Excel
- Under consideration: Google Forms, Hearken, GroundSource, direct mail.
How we’ll support you:
- Competitive salary, including paid vacation time leave and sick days, a 401(k) match and health plan.
- Commitment to all staff members attending a conference or other professional development opportunity each year.
- Monthly feedback process to help you apply your strengths to the role.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 18th at 5:00 p.m. EST.