Summer fellowship at PublicSource
You love writing. You notice things your peers don’t. You care about issues affecting your friends and your community.
PublicSource is seeking a high school-aged black student whose interests include writing, telling stories and being an informed member of his or her community. The right candidate will join the PublicSource team for a paid summer fellowship.
PublicSource is a nonprofit online journalism organization in Pittsburgh. We write stories with powerful narratives and characters to explain complex issues in the areas of social justice, public safety, education, health, the environment and politics.
Why are we specifically looking for a black student? Because the Pittsburgh journalism community is much less diverse than the city it covers. Only 9 percent of journalists in Pittsburgh are black, Hispanic or Asian, according to a 2016 survey by the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation. This summer fellowship at PublicSource is part of our initiative to promote gender and race parity in Pittsburgh journalism. Journalism is a viable career path. Yes, it pays. It’s also a fun profession. Few other jobs allow you to be this curious and creative!
If you’re interested, here’s what we’re looking for in a fellow:
- An interest and enthusiasm about learning how to conduct an interview and write a variety of stories (hard news, event coverage, a profile of someone, etc.).
- Last summer, our fellow launched #PublicStreetsPGH, a social media series featuring the stories of people met while walking Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods. The summer fellow would be expected to continue contributing that series.
- Someone who is eager to learn about how journalists operate.
- A willingness to experiment and try new things, like exploring a spreadsheet, making a call to a politician, using a tool to build a chart and more.
- An ability to travel to the PublicSource office and devote 15 hours a week for three months.
Our office is at 746 E. Warrington Ave. in the Allentown neighborhood, right on a bus line. PublicSource will pay our fellow $2,000 for their work this summer.
If you or someone you know fits the bill, please make sure he or she knows about this opportunity. Please send a cover letter, resume and any writing samples by or before May 16 to Halle Stockton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bring your voice, verve and vision! You, too, can be a journalist.