Publicsource is hiring for the following positions:
K-12 Education Reporter
PublicSource.org is seeking a reporter to cover K-12 education issues in the Pittsburgh area. The ideal candidate has the ability to produce ongoing and enterprise journalism about the issues, policies and practices that are impacting students and their families in the Pittsburgh area. We are a collaborative newsroom dedicated to facts, excellence, diverse voices and the pursuit of transparency.
The education beat in our region is a critical one. The Pittsburgh school district is well funded when compared to other urban districts of its kind but still struggles with budget deficits, among other concerns. Municipal fragmentation in the area means there are more than 40 other school districts in our county, each with its own unique identity and quirks. Some are within wealthy suburbs; others face severe poverty. These areas are ripe for an enterprising reporter willing to take a closer look.
There has been an alarming uptick in gun violence impacting students in the past year. And in the meantime, student test scores are down across the region, mental health challenges are up and political divisions have turned otherwise ordinary matters, like what books are in the curriculum, into matters of extreme division.
We’re looking for candidates who have:
- A track record in covering education issues or in establishing a beat and an interest in doing so on K-12 education.
- Story ideas bubbling constantly and a sense of urgency to tell them.
- Adept interviewing skills: This reporter will need to talk to students, teachers, administrators, elected officials, education researchers, union leaders and community members, and be able to move back and forth easily between high-level policy and the impact it has on students’ lives.
- Ability to work independently under deadlines and juggle a variety of assignments.
- A dedication to telling stories creatively, experimenting with formats and writing clean, factual drafts.
- Some proficiency in working with data and public records requests is preferred but not required.
- A dedication to broader team goals is a must. Our team collaborates on many levels, from producing strong visuals and developing promotion plans for our stories to evaluating audience engagement and hosting events.
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$55,000, commensurate with experience and skills.
PublicSource has an office in Pittsburgh and operates in a hybrid work environment.
PublicSource offers paid vacation time leave and sick days, a 401(k) match, a health plan, competitive paid parental leave and professional development opportunities. PublicSource is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply, including but not limited to people of color, people who are LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities. To learn more about what it’s like to work with PublicSource, please visit this page.
Are you interested? Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.