- Search Pennsylvania nursing homes by location, size and ownership on the Nursing Care Facility Locator Page, provided by the PA Department of Health. It includes inspections, payment options and nursing hours per resident.
- The Pennsylvania Health Care Association’s Facility Finder allows users to search for a facility by location and type of long-term care, as well as by specialized services, like adult day care, dementia care and dialysis.
- Use ProPublica’s Nursing Home Inspect application to search inspection reports for issues that matter to you, like pressure sores or emergency plans.
- Nursing Home Compare, developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services [CMS], is another way to search for ratings and quality measures of nursing homes throughout the country.
- CMS also has a guide to choosing the right nursing home and information on how to file a complaint.
- The National Institute on Aging also has a guide on choosing a nursing home and paying for it.
- Find local support by entering your city and state in a search engine provided by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging.
- To learn about veteran and surviving spouse benefits, call 1-800-827-1000 or visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- The Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly will help families determine the level of care needed and address problems with quality of care. Call 1-800-356-3606 or visit the CARIE website. The group also has a website with tips for family caregivers.
Do you feel more informed?
Help us inform people in the Pittsburgh region with more stories like this — support our nonprofit newsroom with a donation.