Want to learn more about adaptive sports? Here’s a list of local, state and national organizations that can help you get started:
- Achilles International provides training, events and community support. Reach out to the Pittsburgh chapter on Facebook here.
- Search by zip code to find your local adaptive sports group.
- The National Sports Center for the Disabled, based in Denver, Colo., organizes therapeutic sports and recreation outings and vacations for people with physical, intellectual and behavioral disabilities.
- The Pennsylvania Center for Adaptive Sports says it helps 500 people with disabilities every year get into adaptive sports. Find out about their programs and how to contact organizers here.
- Among other programs, Three Rivers Adaptive Sports holds a bowling event in Harmarville, Pa., every other Tuesday; $10 per person covers bowling, food and drink. Learn more on the group’s website.
- The Three Rivers Rowing Association has adaptive rowing & paddling outreach programs.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs also promotes adaptive sports for veterans with disabilities.
Disabled Sports USA has compiled a list of suppliers of adaptive sports equipment.
We don't have paywalls — but your support helps us bridge crucial information gaps.
Readers tell us they can't find the information they get from our reporting anywhere else, and we're glad to provide this important service for our community. We work hard to produce accurate, timely, impactful journalism without paywalls that keeps our region informed and moving forward.
However, only .01% of the people who read our stories contribute to our work financially. Our newsroom depends on the generosity of readers like yourself to make our high-quality local journalism possible, and the costs of the resources it takes to produce it have been rising, so each member means a lot to us.
Your donation to our nonprofit newsroom helps ensure everyone in Allegheny County can stay up-to-date about decisions and events that affect them. Please make your gift of support now.